Starting a small family is every couples dream. Gone are the days when you have a child birth at home and everything is taken care of at home by a midwife or an elderly woman who is knowledgeable. Now days there are specialised places like a fertility clinic Brisbane, a maternity hospital, a confinement care centre and many more facilities opening up especially geared to help new mothers through all stages of their pregnancy. Here are a few specialised areas in which care is given and what you can expect.
- Pre conception: this is the first stage that is involved in having a child. When a couple begins to make plans to start a family they need to visit a health care provider to check their overall health. This includes both parties. Usually a doctor will examine a woman and make suggestions on healthy eating, lifestyle and risk factors involved. A doctor will also likely recommend nutritional supplements such as folic acid and other vitamins. For a man, this early stage is equally important as there are many factors that can affect his sperm count. Therefore he will also be advised to stay away from certain habits such as smoking & excessive alcohol.
- Prenatal: this includes specialised care given to a woman during pregnancy. During this stage, obstetricians will provide guidance on nutrition, maintaining healthy weight, exercise and blood pressure. They will also advice on what to expect during child birth and infant care. Promoting a healthy pregnancy is the main goal during this time therefore there may be numerous tests performed by specialised doctors, such as :
- Blood tests are carried out to determine haemoglobin levels, infections such as rubella, HIV and even blood glucose levels.
- Screening tests to check for any birth defects or genetic abnormalities.
- Urine tests are carried out to check for proteins and sugars. They may also be carried out to check if the mother has kidney disease or diabetes.
- Labor and child birth: doctors that specialise in obstetrics will help women determine when labor begins and if needed when labor will have to be induced. They will provide guidance and help throughout the delivery process and even provide pain relief medication when required. Performing a caesarean if required is also carried out by healthcare providers at this stage.
- Postpartum: this is one of the most important stages but it is somehow one of the most neglected. In most modern countries mothers tend to stay on in the hospital at this stage to recover and get any additional support, advice and help they may need. However in the underdeveloped or developing countries all mothers may not receive the same level of treatment.
These are all the main stages that a couple will have to go through when planning to have a child, therefore it is good to do your research to know the type of service and care you are bound to receive when selecting a clinic or a hospital for your pregnancy care needs. For more information, please click here.